Monday, June 20, 2011

How to Kill a Killdeer

This precocious bird is evil.  At least the one that claimed my back yard for its own.  Yesterday morning as I was cleaning up from breakfast I notice a small fawn in my neighbors yard.  Jeff quickly grabbed Maddie so she could see too.  We decided to go outside to watch the deer.  As it ran off, I let Jack out so Maddie and I sat at the patio table.  Jack was no further than five feet from Maddie and I when the bird came swooping in.  Now the killdeer does not make contact with Jack but the bird is getting very close!  Jeff came running when I yelled.  I got Jack and Maddie back in the house by that time the bird was gone.  Jack decided to stay inside the rest of the day.  When Maddie went down for her nap Jeff and I both went out to do yard work, I was in the front and he was in the back.  Jeff did look more closely for a nest to see if maybe it had been disrupted, he did not find anything.  After Maddie woke up and we ate lunch we decided to go swimming.  When we got home from swimming and eating we gave Maddie a bath and right to bed.  It was still light out so I went out back to look at all of Jeff's hard work.  Jeff and Jack came out too.  Again I was no further than five feet away from the dive bombing attack.  Jeff and I both picked up stone from our landscaping and chasing the bird while throwing rocks at it.  Neither of us made contact but Jeff did hit the fence and it did make a very LOUD noise.  I thought that would be enough to rid the bird from our yard.  I WAS wrong.  I let Jack out this morning and it happened again, however there was a Raven intervention.  One of the very large raven's that like our yard, came swooping in to Jack's rescue by pecking at the Killdeer.  I plan to google to see what Raven's like to eat so I can thank them and maybe bribe them into helping with our killdeer problem, at least until santa comes with a red rider bb gun.

1 comment:

  1. Who needs an Iphone when you have your own angry bird... ;) I saw this http://www.ehow.com/how_5569282_rid-killdeer-birds.html, however some of them you probably can't do (bb gun) or won't work (having a dog to chase it.. ) But fire crackers maybe? Scarecrows?

    Christina

    ReplyDelete